What does a Digital Marketing Agency do?
You often hear that the world of marketing is changing. It’s true, but we should all be looking at that statement a little differently.
The world of marketing has changed.
It’s not a matter of predicting where marketing is heading. We’re living it, right here, right now. Traditional marketing is failing to reach audiences like it used to. Even in its heyday traditional marketing wasn’t considered a precision approach. It was a numbers game, one that simply doesn’t work anymore. Newspapers and magazines are all but obsolete, and TV and radio are declining in a major way.
In its place rises digital marketing, or as we like to call it, “marketing.” Simply put, it’s the most effective way to market a business today, and for the foreseeable future.
I’ll reevaluate that statement as soon as one of these ever-popular end-of-days movies is made a reality. Until then, I stand behind it.
Implementing traditional marketing strategies for your company is like breaking out your old FM radio and hoping that you pick up a few stations. Digital marketing is streaming your favorite song straight to your mobile device. You target a specific audience and keep ideal leads and buyers coming to you 24/7.
What is Digital Marketing?
Since digital marketing has taken over, what is it, exactly? In an attempt to avoid overwhelm, I’ll keep this simple.
Digital marketing is data-driven and targeted brand promotion through technology.
While the umbrella term, “Digital Marketing,” can include mobile apps, podcasts, and other forms of digital media, the internet is the center of all tools and channels at a digital marketer’s disposal.
Digital marketing is exceedingly organized, highly targeted, and delivers measurable results in real-time.
There is no guesswork involved. Strategies are tested continually in order to see what’s working and what isn’t. You’re able to measure results and implement strategy adjustments immediately.
This is the way of digital marketing. Let me rephrase that. This is the way of digital marketing when you have a highly skilled digital marketing agency executing the marketing activities for your brand.
What is a Digital Marketing Agency?
A digital marketing agency is different from your traditional marketing agency in that they are typically focused on results-based marketing in the digital world. Measurable marketing and ROI is the name of the game.
A legitimate digital marketing agency doesn’t practice “spray and pray” marketing. Gone are the radio or TV spots and magazine ads. In their place come a team of strategists, digital marketing consultants, creatives, and developers that work together from the ground up to deliver quantifiable results. A digital marketing agency is a brand-development and lead-generating engine.
Digital Marketing Agency vs. Marketing Agency
Marketing agencies still dance on both sides of the marketing line, often pushing traditional or merely creative initiatives. Companies want a beautiful website—but they also need a website that converts visitors to results-focused outcomes, such as leads or purchases. Unfortunately, many marketing agencies don’t have the know-how or internal skill set in place to deliver both.
What a Digital Marketing Agency Should Do
Now that I’ve made digital marketing agencies sound like teams of superheroes, you’re probably wondering what it is that they typically do. Let’s review the top three areas digital agencies focus on.
Digital Marketing Agencies Improve your Business
A great digital marketing agency has the means to take over your marketing from top to bottom. For starters, their business expertise allows them to evaluate your brand’s needs and develop a powerful strategy that maximizes profits.
They’ll work with your company to improve efficiency and productivity. With their help, you’ll better define your objectives and set measurable goals.
Moreover, the focus on data and targeting requires a clear definition of your target buyer, which is typically more specific than companies currently have in place. When working with a digital marketing agency you’ll determine exactly who your ideal buyer is and analyze their buying journey. Like I said, digital marketing is highly targeted.
When you know your target well, you’ll determine what your messaging and benefits should be to speak directly with your ideal buyer. Your unique selling proposition as it aligns to your ideal buyer is what forms a connection with the people who buy from your company.
Digital Marketing Agencies Master Your Brand Online
As digital marketing revolves around your online presence, a digital marketing agency will work extensively on developing your online hub. This can, and usually does, take many forms.
A highly effective, buyer-focused website allows you to showcase your brand online. From there a digital marketing agency will help you determine which platforms and channels should be used to reach your ideal buyers.
A skilled digital marketing agency will position your company as a market leader by creating content that allows you to establish your brand authority and expertise online. As true experts, an agency team will execute the most modern and effective content strategies in order to provide the best possible organic search rankings.
They will create and implement expert social media marketing strategies that deliver a marketing ROI beyond anything traditional marketing could ever hope to deliver. Social media, when done well, will be focused on the context of the channel and yet fit into the overall marketing strategy.
Digital Marketing Agencies Boost ROI
One of the most important services a digital marketing agency provides is a steady and reliable boost in your return on investment. Higher ROI means one thing, higher profits.
There is no settling in digital marketing. A good digital marketing agency will never stop testing and reworking its strategy in order to boost your ROI and improve its overall efficacy.
Digital marketing agencies evaluate your website traffic, determine the best online platforms to invest in, and continually maintain the balance between your marketing activities and the results they provide.
Working with a digital marketing agency means more leads converting to customers. That means long-term sales growth.
One more thing to think about: To do everything a digital marketing agency does, requires that you hire a marketing strategist, marketing manager, designers, copywriters, and developers to build your own digital marketing department. Consider what your money buys when hiring a digital marketing agency versus bringing on full-time staff members. Talk about making the right investment!
Do you know when to outsource your marketing and when to keep it in-house?
How Social Media Marketing can grow Your Business?
Social media marketing is a powerful way for businesses of all sizes to reach prospects and customers. Your customers are already interacting with brands through social media, and if you’re not speaking directly to your audience through social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, you’re missing out! Great marketing on social media can bring remarkable success to your business, creating devoted brand advocates and even driving leads and sales.
What you might not know is that you’re ready to get your company’s social media off the ground right now. You don’t need to know every intimidating buzzword or have the magic number of followers. You can get started immediately—and even enjoy yourself in the process.
Social media provides immense potential for businesses because consumers habitually log on to it daily and are exposed to companies. It also presents huge challenges for businesses, however, because it’s an ever-changing space that is extremely noisy and crowded.
Social Media Marketing 101: What Is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing, or SMM, is a form of internet marketing that involves creating and sharing content on social media networks in order to achieve your marketing and branding goals. Social media marketing includes activities like posting text and image updates, videos, and and other content that drives audience engagement, as well as paid social media advertising.
We’ve created this guide to provide you with an introduction to social media marketing and some starter social media marketing tips and training to improve your business’s social presence.
With these tips, you can begin developing your own social media marketing expert plan.
Social Media and Marketing: Start With a Plan
Before you begin creating social media marketing campaigns, consider your business’s goals. Starting a social media marketing campaign without a social strategy in mind is like wandering around a forest without a map—you might have fun, but you’ll probably get lost.
Here are some questions to ask when defining your social media marketing goals:
- What are you hoping to achieve through social media marketing?
- Who is your target audience?
- Where would your target audience hang out and how would they use social media?
- What message do you want to send to your audience with social media marketing?
Your business type should inform and drive your social media marketing strategy.
How Social Media Marketing Can Help You Meet Your Marketing Goals
Social media marketing can help with a number of goals, such as:
- Increasing website traffic
- Building conversions
- Raising brand awareness
- Creating a brand identity and positive brand association
- Improving communication and interaction with key audiences
The bigger and more engaged your audience is on social media networks, the easier it will be for you to achieve every other marketing goal on your list!
Best Social Media Marketing Tips
Ready to get started with marketing on social media? Here are a few social media marketing tips to kick off your social media campaigns.
- Social Media Content Planning — As discussed previously, building a social media marketing plan is essential. Consider keyword research and competitive research to help brainstorm content ideas that will interest your target audience. What are other businesses in your industry doing to drive engagement on social media?
- Great Social Content — Consistent with other areas of online marketing, content reigns supreme when it comes to social media marketing. Make sure you post regularly and offer truly valuable information that your ideal customers will find helpful and interesting. The content that you share on your social networks can include social media images, videos, infographics, how-to guides and more.
- A Consistent Brand Image — Using social media for marketing enables your business to project your brand image across a variety of different social media platforms. While each platform has its own unique environment and voice, your business’s core identity, whether it’s friendly, fun, or trustworthy, should stay consistent.
- Social Media for Content Promotion — Social media marketing is a perfect channel for sharing your best site and blog content with readers. Once you build a loyal following on social media, you’ll be able to post all your new content and make sure your readers can find new stuff right away. Plus, great blog content will help you build more followers. It’s a surprising way that content marketing and social media marketing benefit each other.
- Sharing Curated Links — While using social media for marketing is a great way to leverage your own unique, original content to gain followers, fans, and devotees, it’s also an opportunity to link to outside articles as well. If other sources provide great, valuable information you think your target audience will enjoy, don’t be shy about linking to them. Curating and linking to outside sources improves trust and reliability, and you may even get some links in return.
- Tracking Competitors — It’s always important to keep an eye on competitors—they can provide valuable data for keyword research and other social media marketing insight. If your competitors are using a certain social media marketing channel or technique that seems to be working for them, considering doing the same thing, but do it better!
- Measuring Success with Analytics — You can’t determine the success of your social media marketing strategies without tracking data. Google Analytics can be used as a great social media marketing tool that will help you measure your most triumphant social media marketing techniques, as well as determine which strategies are better off abandoned. Attach tracking tags to your social media marketing campaigns so that you can properly monitor them. And be sure to use the analytics within each social platform for even more insight into which of your social content is performing best with your audience.
- Social Media Crisis Management — Things don’t always go swimmingly for brands on social media. It’s best to have a playbook in place so your employees know how to handle a snafu. Check out our guide to social media crisis management to see examples of the worst social media disasters, plus tips on how they should have been handled.